Monday 12 February 2018

Week 10: A forgotten disappointment, some thoughts on the Turkey Trot

In my little grump yesterday I did completely forgot to actually talk about the race I did, which I thought was a good one.

I did the Keyworth Turkey Trot, a race which should have taken place before Christmas - the hint is in the name - but which was postponed due to bad weather.  I've never done this race before largely because in the couple of years I've been running I've only done a handful of half marathons, and also because it generally clashes with another race I really enjoy, the Bolsover 10k.  This year I had the option of taking someone else's number and thought I'd see what the fuss was about for this very popular race.

The course is advertised as being hilly, so it would be a little unfair of me to grumble about the hills, but yes, it is hilly, and with an uphill finish.  The bloody wind was again, if I'm fair, not really their fault.  The course was pretty, the support at the local villages was good, it was very well organised with easy parking, frequent water stations, good toilet provisions, and the marshals on the course were great. 

When I crossed the finish line I was immediately asked if I was OK, offered a foil covering, given water and pointed towards warm drinks and somewhere to warm up, which given the temperature there was welcome.  On the last couple of miles as my pace had bled off I had become extremely cold.  I would class the race as challenging, but definitely one I would do again.  This may be in part down to my stubborn nature and having had a less than great run there, clearly I need to go back and show the bugger who's boss.  I'm like that.

However, now we come on to the grumble.  Along with all the wonderful things I was offered as I crossed the finish line was a lovely little package with a memento in it.  I mistakenly thought at the time it was a medal, and chucked it in my bag to let the kids open later.

I thought no more of this until I got home and got my son to grab it out my bag.  In he came with it in his little fist, opened it up and handed me this.



Yep, that's right, it's a duster.  My initial thought was what the fuck?  A duster?  Are you serious?  I ran 13.1 horrid, cold, windy, hilly miles on dying legs for a duster?  My next thought was a serious worry that I was singled out for this item, and somehow someone had seen the state of my house since I started spending too much time training for this bloody marathon.  Then I was back to what the actual fuck, a duster?

I'm not a massive fusser about race related tat, unless it's a particularly good medal like the ones I got at the Goose Fair Gallop and the Worksop Halloween Half, but the kids like them.  I've had a few other souvenirs that are pretty good, including a mug and a beer glass which come in handy, but mostly it's just tat and it's not why I do the races.  But really, a duster?

Turkey Trot, you have a wonderful race and many great things going for you and I will certainly be back again to run this race later in the year, but as race mementos go you have bottomed out.

However, I have to admit that shortly after taking the above photo I did, indeed, use the duster to clean cat dandruff off my computer desk, so maybe not.  I'm keeping the little thing it came in, that's quite nice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment